The strong swing against the Newman government in Queensland is abundantly clear by this front page of the Townsville Bulletin , January 17-18 , 2015, based on a Galaxy poll . The ALP is also riding high in Cairns, further north .
The Townsville elections are of particular interest because the sitting member for Mundingburra, David Crisafulli , who holds two ministerial portfolios, and is no slouch in self promotion due to his media background, stands to lose his seat to Coralee O'Rourke . When you examine the bad economic situation of the Townsville region it is hard to see how he , Minister for Local Government and Community Recovery , could possibly retain his seat. Despite the huffing, puffing , spin and promises by the LNP in the never never , depending on the leasing of Townsville's port and Ergon Energy , there is certainly no sign of recovery in Townsville.Powerful pointers :
- Townsville's unemployment is the highest , 10 percent and growing .Youth unemployment in the north much , much higher.
- There are hundreds of empty shops up for sale or lease throughout the Townsville business area . Empty premises in industrial estates .
- Even the Murdoch owned new Townsville Bulletin building has vacant space for lease .
- A real estate agent told this writer that " every business " in a well known part of Townsville is up for sale.
- Op shops are about the only growth industry,one even opening on Magnetic Island.
- A person wanting to buy cheap , large storage bags could not find any in el cheapo shops, told by one storekeeper the shortage seemed to be due to so many people packing up and leaving Townsville.When New Zealanders were crossing the Tasman in numbers to get work in Australia, these same colourful plastic bags they brought with them were known as Kiwi Gucci.
- The Townsville Bulletin of January 15 carried a report under the heading HOUSE OWNERS SELL UP FOR LESS,stating tough economic conditions in Townsville in the September quarter resulted in 26.5 per cent of houses selling at a loss compared with purchase price , even worse for apartments, 37.8 per cent .
- Loss making resale rates for Cairns houses were 13.8 per cent and units 43.5 per cent .
Murdoch's Townsville Bulletin office has empty space for lease; one of its staff, Anthony Templeton, the political reporter, who could not stay around to see the outcome of the election , has just left for Adelaide where latte is the soup de jour .
Realtors often chant position, position, position . In the case of Mundingburra incumbent Crisafulli his electorate office in Townsville is two shops from Cupid's Cabin, a sexy location . The voter arrows flying about Townsville do not , however, indicate love is in the air for the LNP - it is more like the Battle of Hastings where alas poor Harald copped an arrow in the eye . In the case of Crisafulli, despite being a minister of the rusting crown , he has a large Achilles heel attracting a quiver of darts.