Saturday, April 4, 2020

GOING VIRAL : OFFBEAT ENTRIES FROM DIARY COMPILED DURING PANDEMIC LOCKDOWN

Losing the signal , sanity  and  the  political  plot

I have obviously offended the vengeful gods . As punishment, life in this hermetically sealed household has been  made painful  by  the  television set  deliberately  made     to  experience loss of  signal  for  hours  on end .   In particular, the  ABC, my favourite,   is extremely hard  to  pick up .

 If I see any more commercials  for Thin Lizzy  and exercise machines  for  the elderly, I will scream . The blood pressure  zooms when  frantic searching  for a  station results in  Sky  popping up , resulting in swearing .Other  commercial  regulars   that   became viewable for  , thankfully, short periods, defy belief , more cussing .

Late one afternoon , feeling   tired , the TV playing up ,  the  ABC    signal suddenly  came  in  loud and clear . Hallelujah !  The  ABC news  dealing  with  coronavirus indicated that there would soon  be a live cross to Canberra for the PM  to make a  statement .

In the recliner , footrest extended,  remote controller in hand , I relaxed , waiting for ScoMo to  appear ... and fell asleep .You could say it was a nanny nap , except I am not a  nanny , I  am a male pumpkin . 

Suddenly  waking up  , the remote  control  still in my hand , there on the ABC was  the PM- weirdly  attired,  seemingly  wearing  a  crash  helmet , no spectacles, dancing about  in  front of  the media !!!!!!
Then he and    Minister for  Employment and Women ,Senator  Michaela Cash , without a  whiteboard in sight  ,  below , broke the social distancing  law , and  continued to  jig about  for  the stunned  media rat  pack .
 In my  befuddled and  growingly  alarmed  state , I wondered what terrible latest  news  these two  had revealed to the worried  nation while  I  had   briefly  slumbered . Then a member of  the National Party, below, bounced onto the screen and began  to yell and  shout, as usual , so some catastrophe had obviously happened .It could have been Little something  without specs.   
Alarmed by this scene from the national capital , I yelled out to my distant  wife , demanded to know  if Martians had landed at Wagga Wagga , gone to Canberra  and taken over the planet  while I kipped ."Silly bugger !" she shouted  , this being  a  common expression of  domestic affection ."This is the Kids Show on the ABC! "  On hearing this welcome information , I pulled out the ukulele  and sang   along  with  the  children  in  Play School .