Saturday, April 18, 2020

GOING BANANAS IN PANDEMIC

It is ever  so easy to let your  appearance  suffer  during the lockdown  and  end up looking like  Willy  off  the  banana  cart .  This was  an  expression my  dear old maternal grandmother  used  to   regularly  describe  a  scruffily  dressed  and  rough  looking   person in  Sydney  70   years  ago . With  a  giggle, she  would frequently   tell  Auntie Gwen ,    something of  a  fashion plate who   ran the  ladies cotton frocks section  in  the  Anthony Hordern  and  Sons department  store ,   somebody   looked   like   the   said  Willy .

While mostly agreeing with her mother,  there  were  times when  aunty  responded  by saying  the   male  concerned  looked  more like  Jacky  the  Bat , another  scruff . These colourful expressions from  childhood times  in my grandmother's  house  in the  North Shore  suburb of St. Leonards     came  to  mind  tuther day  when  a  Good Samaritan  neighbour   came by  and   inquired   of   my   wife   how  we  were  coping   during  the  lockdown .

 On hearing the neighbour's  voice , I  rose from watching maddening  commercial  television  because  the ABC  signal   could not be received ,  clad only in  old shorts ,   and   joined the  conversation from a  safe  distance , which  was good because  I   had  failed    to  apply  underarm deodorant.

The  Good Samaritan  specifically  asked  me  if  my health  was  okay;  I  implied  I was  a  fine  physical  specimen , in  the  pink  . That was until, a  few minutes later, when  I went into  the bathroom and   caught my dishevelled  reflection in the  mirror - the   very  epitome of  Willy off  the banana  cart  and  Jacky the Bat  rolled  into  one , heightened by the gap in my  teeth caused by a 61 year  old  filling that had  crumbled  and fallen  out. .

My  uncombed , long, grey hair  stuck out  like a  mutation  between  a   Yehudi Menuhin violin player  and  the  Wild  Man from Borneo . As I had not  bothered to shave for some days, I resembled  old Man Lucas  who  had a lot of  mucous  from the Kinky Friedman song  ; the  hairs in my nostril were  long , badly in need  of attention with a chain saw . Then  there were the   wrinkles, puffy eyes , long  fingernails .

The  shorts  actually  looked  like  battered   Bombay Bloomers  that  Rudyard  Kipling had   worn   while  being chased   through   the  jungle by  a  Tiger . Got  the    grotty , repulsive  picture ?  It  is a wonder the  Good Samaritan   did not  take  fright  at  my appearance  and    decamp  hastily.

While working on  this  post, decided to  Google  Willy off the banana cart  to see if  he had  actually figured in Australian folklore  or  on  the stage . No specific mention could be found . Willy  Wonka ,  with his chocolate addiction ,  naturally ,   was  listed ,  but   some  other  suspect  Willys   surfaced . There was  something called a  Willy Warmer  and  a  novelty  squirting Willy Banana   for  hen  stag  nights .  No  wonder chooks  suddenly  stop  laying.(This  squashed banana  post  dedicated  to  the  memory of   Peter and  Terry Blake of the Kings Cross Whisper . )