Wednesday, August 1, 2018

STRANGE GOINGS ON IN PARLIAMENT HOUSE

Desperately  seeking  Paul   Keating in Wedding  Cake  
After  viewing  the  ABC   television  show ,   Media Watch ,  this  tired  old blogger  hit   the sack...Then I found myself inside  Darwin's parliament  house , above,  known as  the Wedding Cake , as  the  newly  appointed   press secretary to the  new Chief  Minister, Paul  Keating  ,  a  former Australian Prime Minister .
 
By  Peter Simon
 
 In  an attempt  to have my first  tete-a-tete   with     Keating ,  I went looking for him . Walking from office  to office, I asked  if  anybody had seen Paul Keating . No . On and  on  I  went .  A public servant suggested he could be on  the roof , so I  went  up  there and  came across  a  bizarre situation - a pile of boulders like the  Devil's Marbles , south of Tennant Creek . (I know , doctor , it sounds as if  I have  rocks  in  my  head . )

Then , like a drone , a  flying  turtle  rocketed into view  among the  boulders . It had no head , arms which rotated like  lawnmower blades  , it's shell metallic looking .   I chased after it , but it levitated , shot  away like a flying saucer. The  tabloid reporter came out in  me  as  I thought of the   fabulous story that could be  written about   Myrtle, the  Flying  Turtle  in the Wedding Cake .

It was now  imperative  that I  locate Keating  and tell him about the turtle , get him to make  a lighthearted  media  release  about  this   odd ,  gravity defying  reptile . It would  make a change   from  crocodiles which  get so much coverage  in  the Northern Territory News.

Galloping from office  to office  , I still could not  find   Keating . Imagine my shock when I pushed open  a  door , and  there  was  a  public servant , standing , feeding  a giant  , feathered  monster   through  a  barbed  wire  fence , like a scene out of  Jurassic  Park !!!( A former speaker of the NT   Legislative Assembly  had  wrestled  snakes  that  tried  to  gobble  her  chooks .)

At this stage I jumped up , wide awake , in bed , picked up the pillows I had  tossed  on the floor  during the night . What would Sigmund Freud  say about this  dream ?  

Was it something  I ate -cheese on crackers -  that caused the dream ? Many moons ago I had been press secretary to the ALP Leader of the Opposition in Darwin, Jon Isaacs  ; just recently I  had  listened  to news  about   fracking   going   ahead  in  the Territory, possibly the  inspiration for  the  rotating  turtle ?  
 I  recall having  written an  extensive  article , above,  in  the    October   1975   edition  of  the   Northern Territory Newsletter    that   young  looking Paul Keating, 31,  had been made the new  Minister   for  Northern Australia . It  got a  run shortly before  the  feathered   and  top  hatted   Governor-General monstered  the  Whitlam  Government .