Friday, September 11, 2009

WAVING, NOT DROWNING BEFORE TIME

Little Darwin has a vested interest in Darwin’s popular wave pool. Way back in the l980s , this writer worked for the ALP as a press secretary. After seeing TV coverage of what was said to be the first wave pool , in Phoenix, Arizona, I was struck by the idea that this would be great for Darwin , especially during the Wet when people go troppo , unable to swim in the sea . I rang up the Big Surf outfit in Arizona and obtained details , including the cost , of such a novel pool .

It was election time here and the clique that ran the ALP had decided , without much discussion , to go in strong on a subsidy for freight charged on fruit and vegetables trucked into the Territory. My belated suggestion of a wave pool was dismissed out of hand . In moments of what if , I wonder what the election result would have been had the ALP had the time to develop and float my wave pool brainwave (notice how modest I am ?)

Recently , with grandchildren, I subjected my wrinkled body to the pounding of the wave pool- and loved it, despite the fact that the skin peeled off my right big toe, with which I braced myself. What a brilliant asset for the city . Needs more shelter from the sun about the pool and perhaps the wave strength could be reduced slightly as it seems very strong for this old body surfer.