Wednesday, September 23, 2009

RUGBY LEAGUE AUTHOR UNWELL

Sorry to hear longtime Darwin rugby league supporter , Frank McPherson , is not in the best of health. Frank wrote a book about his first 50 years associated with the code in Darwin . Back in the l950s , this Little Darwin scribe used to both play and write up rugby league for the NT News and had many discussions with Frank . Fitter and sillier than a March hare , I actually ran up and down the sideline following play , taking notes for my reports. In the process , fruity comments were flung at me by fans ,with an impressive vocabularly similar to that of our current worthy PM, who did not agree with my write ups. One year I foolishly tipped Navy to beat the agile Wallabies in the grand final. To atone for my failure to pick the Wallabies , I later wrote a reference under an ALP letterhead for one of their star players in his bid to obtain a job driving a bulkdozer for the UN in Africa.

Another person who disported himself on the playing field at the time, in the Brothers side, for which I also played, was the spherically shaped George "Cannonball” Cridland , then judge Kriewaldt‘’s associate, now a big gun in a prominent legal firm. Another rugby league stalwart ,Frank Geddes , will no doubt be saddened to hear that Frank is unwell.