Thursday, September 17, 2015

DEATH OF THE FAIRY GODMOTHER

Vale   Graham  Rees: Tribute  by Peter Simon 

Working as the volunteer  editor of  Citation , journal of   the Northern Territory Police Museum and  Historical Society in  Darwin  brought  me  into  contact   with   Graham Rees , highly efficient  and  jovial  secretary of  the Retired Police Association of the Northern Territory.

We operated from the same building  and over the years  had  many diverse discussions, especially  at  morning  tea. At some stage  he  mentioned he had  once dressed up as  the Fairy Godmother  for a  fund raiser... and  dropped the teaser that I might find   a photograph of  him decked  out in  pink as that  dear old lady... knowing that  I  spent  many  hours   going  through  the fabulous museum  files  and  other  archives about  town . The idea of finding a former traffic cop  dressed as the Fairy Godmother spurred me  on.

Naturally , from time to time , I addressed  him as The Fairy Godmother when I spent so much time  in the museum , surrounded  by filing cabinets, spears, exhibitions from famous  court   cases   , a  storage room  packed with items of interest, including handmade  weapons  made in  East Timor ,into which I burrowed .  A  scribe's  veritable  paradise I so felt .
 
Arriving   one morning  at the  museum , I parked the  car outside , noticed  men running about,  walked up the stairs, saw  some dodgy looking character  sitting outside on the porch , went inside . Graham Rees  informed me  we were in the middle of  a pretend  siege  .  Yelling , thumping  was  heard  . A bang ...
 
The Fairy Godmother walked in and laughingly announced they  had just blown up my car .  Never in  all the  fairytale  versions of  the  Fairy  Godmother had she  made a  funnier statement ...which required another cuppa  and some more Scotch fingers , bought by Saus Grant,  another   dear departed  cop, in bulk at Woolworths.
 
 Graham also produced a newsletter for retired police officers and we exchanged notes. He  was  interested in books , and we  discussed  some of the notorious cops and politicians in  New South Wales , where he had  started his police  career , Tennant Creek, where he and his wife had lived , Big Jim Bowditch , the crusading editor  of  the Northern Territory News,  and many colourful  long gone officers.
 
When I moved away from the  Territory to Magnetic Island we continued contact  by phone and email . At times he rebuked me for bad spelling , and  dubbed  me Captain Curlew because of all  the items I wrote about  the birds .
 
Graham  rang  and told me he  had a short time to live due to liver cancer .  Recently, I thought I should ring  Graham and ask him to  grace the island   with a  visit in a Fairy Godmother  outfit and represent the tough cops of the NT  in a jitterbugging contest, which  would surely have  knocked  the socks  offa  the  locals.   I failed to do so...and then came word from Darwin that he  had died. As I write this, Curlews have started wailing outside-Captain Curlew feels that self same  sorrow.