Thursday, April 15, 2010

TOUCH OF NEW ORLEANS FOR DARWIN

This Little Darwin scribbler must have looked his age when a friend asked if I had received a letter from the Minister for Senior Territorians, Rob Knight, with the alluring brochure for the Southern Cross retirement resort at Fannie Bay on the Waratah Oval site.

As a matter of fact, I had . I told mon ami that I had found the picture of Bo Derek bouncing along the beach at sunset without her walking frame more than interesting. With the right medication , a gold chain and sunnies, I could enjoy my twilight years at the village . My scoffing mate laughed and advised me to take my waterwings and a noodle . What ? Don’t tell me Esther Williams cavorts in the swimming pool as well as Bo ?

No . The site, he vouchsafed, is in a storm surge zone . But, I stammered , the brochure reassuring says the resort will be “cyclone proof” . Perhaps King Canute will be the resort manager? Killjoy that he is, my irksome friend also advised me not to bare my manly chest or other parts of my David-like profile because the oval area is well know for sandflies.

Minister Knight , who recently survived an attack by Peter Piper pecking parliamentary plovers, wrote that the Territory government is “ proud” to have contributed the land for the “ state of the art” ( a much used spin doctor expression ) stage one of the Southern Cross Care Retirement Lifestyle Resort .

If building a retirement village smack in the middle of a surge zone is now state of the art for Territory seniors , then Marshall Perron should refloat his euthanasia bill. Who dat!