Tuesday, August 14, 2012

IN THE COMPANY OF SAINTS


Scaling Townsville’s craggy Castle Hill on which is painted a stick figure with a halo ( above ) representing the  gentleman crook, Simon Templar, alias The Saint, almost brought this sinner face to face with St Peter at the Pearly Gates. In the old Imperial measurement, the peak is nearly 1000 feet high and dominates the attractive  North Queensland city. The views from it out to the Coral Sea , Magnetic and Palm isles , The Strand are magnificent . Day and night it is climbed , driven and pedalled up by a horde of locals, interstate and overseas visitors , adventurers , camera enthusiasts, decaying individuals who should know better, the latter category one  in which I have membership.

One way to conquer the peak is via what is known locally as “the goat track,” which requires no explanation. My athletic daughter , Lizbeth, often climbs Castle Hill before she goes to work , setting out from home before sunrise for the base camp for the trek . I was induced one Saturday to join her , a friend , Barbara , also a regular climber , and a great granddaughter , Lacey, “nearly five and a half”,  a veteran mountain climber. Because it was exceptionally cold there as in Darwin, I wore jeans and a jumper , not only to keep warm but as protection against mossies and dengue. Barbara , in whose comfortable car we travelled, was similarly covered , and elected to walk up the easier sealed road because of a hip or knee condition , while the rest of us hit the goat track.

After admiring the views as the sun peeked through early in the ascent , I soon noticed that the thigh muscles were tightening up. Then it dawned on me that I was going to be physically tested. Daughter and the hopping, skipping and rock–wallaby like GGD left me for –not dead- but pretty close. My thoughtful daughter returned and said there was a rest station, a deck with a seat a short distance ahead where I could sit and drink from my water bottle.

Resting, I glanced down the track and could see an army of enthusiastic climbers , some solo, heading up my way. Spurred on, I resumed the upward grind, pausing frequently to sit on an uncomfortable rock, hug a tree , the sweat saturating my clothing. A woman clad only in shorts and a T-shirt , carrying a water bottle,  seeing my stressed state , thought she was being  kind and helpful when she said  I had passed the half way mark ( groan ) ; she soon disappeared as if snatched by a Yeti. I stepped aside for three men coming through at speed , the last one in the group, lightly clad, the eldest ,sweat pouring down his face, looked at me adorning a tree and commented , with some amazement, that I was heavily dressed. Was that the Angel of Death , an elephant , a snake , a turtle and a few political stickers  on  a watertank ( below) beside the  track  or was I beginning to hallucinate ?
Any moment I thought I was going to tear a hammy or have a groiny  like a player in an AFL match  . My water bottle seemed to weigh a tonne. Here I was,past three score and 10 years, having had a triple heart bypass, sporting a floating clavicle, and attempting to emulate Sir Edmund Hillary- without the aid of a Sherpa . Bob Hawke, with justification, would call me a silly old bugger. Eventually I tottered out of  the goat track onto the part of Castle Hill where  cars turn around . Eureka! Despite blurred vision , walking like a tin soldier , I took several  photos of  the panoramic views . Our walking companion who took the low road on foot arrived, the easier route taken 45 minutes . But wait, the summit had not yet been reached. My daughter and Lacey were beckoning from a flight of steps higher up .

Ringing wet with perspiration , I set out to follow them and on entering a ramp everything began to swim before my eyes, I became light headed and things went black. Clutching a  rail , I hung there like a clump of rainforest flora, green about the gills . This, I thought, could literally be the end of  life’s mysterious trail for me. After a while, I tottered back to the parking area , sat down and drank some more water. Waiting for me at the summit , my daughter and lively GGD wondered why I had not joined them. Lacey, incredibly smart  and agile for her age , suggested I may had died .

No. I recovered; we returned via the road, although we did take a side track at one stage. On the way down I took photos of the saint figure first said to have been painted as a prank by a James Cook University Arts/Law student,Shane Flynn, in the l960s . Subsequently erased, it was replaced and is now a well known piece of graffiti art, a tourist  attraction.

After the arduous climb, we headed to The Strand , on the waterfront, which was in a festive mood due to the annual walking competition, and had breakfast , Lacey going for pancakes. Unfortunately, oxygen was not on the menu , so I had settle for the big breakfast and a mug of latte with four sugars . When I went to the James Cook University Special Collections and told the librarian that I had scaled Castle Hill via the goat track , she said people had been known to drop dead there . I thank the patron saint of mountain climbers that I had not expired on that expedition .
The saints seemed to be watching over me in Townsville as there was a fete at St Matthew’s Anglican Church, Rising Sun, where I bought numerous books , including the biography THE SAINT AND LESLIE CHARTERIS ( above ), examined a display of Townsville serpents and succumbed to the temptation of a Devonshire tea .While munching on a tasty date scone, I read the  names of dear departed   parishioners on a memorial wall, one now  said to be  DANCING IN  HEAVEN. My sainted aunt would  not  have agreed to such carrying on  in Paradise.
Then Australia’s own Saint Mary MacKillop ( above ) beamed down on me and held a FUNDAY at which more secondhand books were for sale. I was blessed by  picking up the memoirs of a neglected living ALP saint , Barry Jones. While taking photographs  of  the interesting architecture in Townsville , I came across a  residence on The Strand  with  the surprising   name , ST. OLAVE'S .  Olaf  was once King of Norway and became  the patron saint of that country. What is more, he  helped Aethelred the Unready  beat back  the  Danes when they invaded  England . How  the saint's name  came  to  be  displayed  on  a prime piece of real estate  in Townsville  is a  clerical mystery. ---- (By Peter Simon).